Marketers Must Leverage the Second-Screen Experience
Most marketers recognize the importance of optimizing content for mobile devices. Cynthia Clark urges marketers to take mobile optimization one step further and extend their customers’ experience from a 30-second TV ad to a second screen.
In Making the Most of the Dual Screen Phenomenon, Cynthia Clark explains the new norm among multi-device owners is to move from one screen to the next to research, and perhaps purchase, items as shown on TV.
Brands using social media to enhance their TV viewers’ experience is nothing new. Some marketers have already begun experimenting with extending TV’s reach to digital customers, as CyberAlert addressed in Social TV: The Next Big Thing.
Several television networks have already embraced the second-screen experience, including USA, which created an online quiz game for Modern Family and shows users’ results throughout the show.
According to a Google study, nine out of ten people use multiple screens sequentially, and smartphones are by far the most common starting point for this sequential activity. The study, titled Navigating the New Multi-Screen World, also found that when people switch screens, they often use search to pick up where they left off.
- Create a seamless and continuous experience across devices to allow customers to choose their purchasing journeys.
- Allow customers to save progress between devices and use SEO tactics like keyword parity to ensure customers can easily find the page they left off via search. (Keyword parity involves adding matching keywords across search engines and expanding the phrases of top-performing keywords, as Matt Lawson illustrates in Accelerating Revenue Growth with Keyword Parity).
Key message: brands should encourage viewers to engage with them beyond TV. Second-screen engagement shows brands which customers are interested in their product or service and delivers habits and demographic data marketers can use to target individuals.
You Might Also Like…
- Internet vs TV: is the Second Screen the New First Screen?
- Do Keywords Still Define Your Position In The Search Engines?
- 6 Step Strategy for an Effective SEO Keywords Plan
- A Visual Guide to Keyword Targeting and On-Page Optimization